My original letter to Sarah Chilton (since updated) which prompted her to contact the police


18th March, 2018

THIS is the first anniversary of the night that you protested “how dare she text you on a weekend off!”  

Then you dictated my “I don’t appreciate...” text response to her.

Just two weeks later, on April 1st, you sent me an email ending our relationship after almost two years.


Seven weeks later, on the 19th of May, you finally abandoned me, without a word, when I was at the lowest point in my life.

That’s how much I/our relationship was worth.

I know these dates well. And these facts are incontrovertible.

I am thankful that you, at last, finally, spoke to me like an adult in February and for your hand-holding and comfort.

I am sorry I was so distraught and unable to express myself properly.

It was clear from that ‘conversation’ that you have absolutely no comprehension of what I have been through as a result of your behaviour and that you care even less. Either that - or you are in complete denial.

Thankfully, you abandoned the absurd “carrying-on” allegation. At least to me. Writing had some impact then. I doubt though whether you will have the self-awareness or humility to withdraw that ridiculous allegation to the others you have shared it with.

So I was not being unfaithful with Jo, you now appear to accept, it was something else. (Deliberately dishonest, deceitful and nasty that you should have used that expression “carrying on” to me in December. Deliberately hurtful. The blog got it right, obviously.)

“You didn’t want advice from all sorts of people,” you mind-readed me as the justification for you not asking your organisation for advice on my behalf. So you denied me any help because you were in a huff with me for asking someone else too? Incredible.

What struck me later about our conversation, apart from your studied lack of emotion, was your inability to take any responsibility for anything. To accept no fault at all. To show no awareness.

“The intimacy was about you sharing everything about your case with her,” was your explanation and justification.

I’m now clear that you ended our relationship, after almost two years, because I sought advice about the battle for my professional career, from a woman friend. That’s worth repeating: You ended our relationship, after almost two years, because I sought advice about the battle for my professional career, from a woman friend.

You must, at 48, by now be accustomed to suddenly ending relationships like this.  And quickly starting new ones, as you did with me. Because you demand constant, continual attention and validation. My daughter observed this after just a few meetings with you.

I was struck in our ‘conversation’ by your immediate citing of ‘shoegate’. We can only wonder why this was so prominent in your mind. (I wasn’t happy, either, about you working for a private health company that posed as being ethical. But I accepted it.)

And I was struck too by you saying: “You wanted the battle”.

Quite what either of these things, even if you were right about them, had to do with our relationship break-up, only you know. But these are bogus, belated, justifications. The same for the cellar incident. The same for the Sheffield comment – btw yours were not ‘little insecurities’, they were constant and continual.

My daughter’s comment about my health is irrelevant and again, a belated justification. You didn’t abandon me because you were concerned for my health and well-being, the exact opposite.

“You had Jo, Kathryn and Rachel in London,” you said, in another attempt at self-justification. More self-delusion. You really think you didn’t matter? That’s your constant need for validation again, even when your partner is in extremis.

You initially implied that I had been somehow ‘faking’ my depression and anxiety, by mentioning our conversation that weekend a year ago. It was all an act? At the end of March, I told you I had felt like driving the car across the road, after my second doctor’s appointment. To which your empathic response was only: “I thought as much.” Then there were two more doctor’s notes, both of which diagnosed anxiety and depression, before you finally abandoned me. I am sorry to demolish your attempt at dismissing my mental health – doesn’t leave you with much of a get-out, does it?

You mentioned your father and sister’s depression. Only you know why, with that apparent ‘knowledge’, you weren’t able to show me any compassion or understanding. Me, me, me again.

The savage irony of course is that, in the end, it was you who was unfaithful.

And I know now, that when we spoke, you were not completely honest with me. And that you also lied to me.  You could speak to her, but not to me. An astonishing betrayal on its own. But there was more to it than that, wasn’t there? You couldn’t help yourself, could you?

When you were having your face done in a beauty salon and betraying me, out of spiteful revenge, I was fighting for my professional life, suffering hypo after hypo, and suicidal.

When you were ranting and raving at me on your doorstep in December, accusing me of “destroying” your life, I wanted to kill myself. And again, you ran away from adult behaviour. Petulant childishness.

What does any of this tell you about yourself? Anything?

When you finally decided to speak to me, you demonstrated a complete lack of concern and disinterest about what had happened to me. “I don’t mean to be dismissive”, you repeated several times. But, of course, you were.

“The police told me not to be on my own that night,” you repeated several times, as though this was some awful prospect. Me, me, me, again. Not once did you ask about me that night after I had taken an overdose of insulin. “Well, you’re still here,” you said, smiling. How blasé and dismissive. No sense of responsibility, again. Too busy complaining about how you spent the night.

We both should have known when you abandoned me that first ever weekend, in the middle of a hypo, when I was clearly unwell. “No-one’s ever treated me like that before,” you said, being the centre of the universe.

Nor had anyone ever abandoned me like that before.

(I have to smile now about you searching for my pen in February, when what I needed was not insulin, but any kind of sustenance. A complete lack of any understanding, again.)

Dunelm Mill, Marsden, the Liverpool Conference, Jo having a cup of tea, you shopping for the watch I bought – (the £600 one that I bought for you just three months before and which you ungratefully complained was not inscribed? You can post it back to me in another scruffy brown envelope, since it’s only a terrible reminder of our worthless relationship. And I could do with the money. The same goes for the Bartlett poster.)

Then the pre-Christmas running away (I can’t even remember what that was about now, there were so many), then the deluded goodbye email, and then the cowardly keys. What Irredeemably rotten treatment of anyone. An absolute prima donna.

Then, the night you continually goaded me for attention when I was exhausted and wanted to sleep, forcing me into the spare room. And then the horror I felt, when you pursued me, pushing me again and again, almost to breaking point. And all because you wanted constant attention and to be validated. No thought for me. Shameful.

There’s a pattern of behaviour here.

As for the blog, your pre-occupation again was only with what I had written about you. Nothing about me. I was struck too by your verdict that you had thought it showed I “was not well.” Yet even though you knew that, you could not pick up the phone. You could have easily re-assured me that you had not betrayed me. We know one reason, at least, why you didn’t.

You knew in January/February that I had attempted suicide more than once and still you did nothing. Shamefully care-less. Weak, not strong.

But then, you could not pick up the phone throughout the previous silent nine months. “It wasn’t that kind of relationship” you maintained. A really lame, bizarre, attempt at some kind of justification for your behaviour.

You had no capacity for empathy, care or understanding, until finally, finally confronted with the terrible consequences of your own behaviour.

Someone has to try and actually kill themselves on your doorstep before you belatedly relent and try to behave like an adult.

Proud of this?

Again, these facts are indisputable. And some conclusions follow – I guess you will have stopped reading by now and have thrown this in the bin.

But this is the truth. Our relationship was only ever all about you, Princess. It was never a partnership. You never put me, my health or well-being first.  You appear incapable of considering anyone but yourself and your own feelings. And you never cared for me, by any objective definition.

When more of my attention was focussed on saving my professional career and both my physical and mental health, you simply could not accept that. Because it wasn’t about YOU.

This behaviour does not show ‘a strong woman’ – another self-delusion. It demonstrates someone who is brutally hard and cold, selfish, cruel and callous, despite all the regular emotional spasms.

You told me: “no-one has ever spoken to me like that”. No, because everyone - including your parents - have always allowed you to stamp your feet like a child. And they were all frightened, as I was, of saying anything which would provoke another hissy fit. They didn’t dare challenge you.

You can be satisfied with the lasting damage that you have done to me; the awful shock, the three suicide attempts, the heartbreak, suffering and unremitting pain you have caused through your lack of care, jealousy and selfishness.

But have you never wondered why a middle-aged woman, generally considered intelligent and attractive, has never married, never had children, never been in a successful long-term relationship?  None of them were good enough for you? That in itself is revealing.

I know you were sadly jilted and I am sorry that ever happened to you and that it made you see betrayal all around you, fuelling your jealousy, suspicion and lack of trust.

You complained about Jack Leach to anyone who would listen, for wanting to spend Christmas with his grandchild. “He’s supposed to be with me!” Me, me, me. People still talk about it. There were others, of course. But none of them lasted. None of them married you. Why do you think that is?

I’m just as bad? The difference is that I genuinely thought you were different. And, despite it all, I would have married you.

You have been the biggest disappointment of my life, because I expected/hoped for so much more from you. Whither those trumpeted Labour values? I genuinely believed you were my soul mate. How poor a judgement I made.

You must know you already have an awful reputation as a “bunny boiler.” It’s a horrible expression, but why do you think people say that? Anything to do with your own behaviour?  

I should have heeded Gary Titley’s perceptive warning about you, many, many years ago: “she’s a bit of a nutter. A real prima donna.” I never dared tell you. It’s obvious why.

Your final dismissive comment: “Well, lots of things in life could have been avoided,” was a shocking verbal shrug of the shoulders, posing as something profound.  Nothing to do with me. Not my problem. Not my responsibility. I did nothing wrong. I’m fine - you’re the one who is: “not well”.

·         Hard, not strong
·         Insanely jealous and vindictive
·         Selfish
·         Callous
·         Insensitive
·         Uncaring
·         Self-deluded
·         Failure to accept any responsibility
·         And your absolute certainty that you did nothing wrong.

We’ve seen enough evidence of all these. Really contemptible behaviour.

Empathy? No, just me, me, me.

The pity is that you will see absolutely nothing wrong with anything that you have done or failed to do. Zero self-awareness. And you will never change as a result.

I have wasted too much of my life on you because, remarkably, despite it all, I loved you with all my heart.

This is simply a reminder of just some of the terrible damage and harm you have done to me, but you will just shrug your shoulders. Being a prima donna. Couldn’t care less. No remorse. No sense of any responsibility. No compassion, care or understanding. No awareness. And you won’t even read this far. Running away again.

Happy anniversary.

No comments: